Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mahendranath Datta, brother of Swami Vivekananda

(Mahenadeanath Datta)

The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda/Volume 8/Epistles - Fourth Series/CXC John Fox

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

CXC
To Mr. John Fox
BOULEVARD HANS SWAN,
PARIS,
14th August, 1900.
JOHN FOX, ESQ.,
6 Dr. Wolf Street,
Dorchester, Mass, U.S., America.
Kindly write Mohin (Mahendranath Datta, younger brother of Swamiji.) that he has my blessings in whatever he does. And what he is doing now is surely much better than lawyering, etc. I like boldness and adventure and my race stands in need of that spirit very much. Only as my health is failing and I do not expect to live long, Mohin must see his way to take care of mother and family. I may pass away any moment. I am quite proud of him now.
Yours affectionately,
VIVEKANANDA

Experience from writing this blog: Swami Vivekananda himself suffered from numerous ailments. His second visit to the U.S. was mainly for medical treatment and for mobilising funds for his personal benefit. During the second visit, he consulted practitioners of magnetic healing, homoeopathy, acupuncture etc. rather than qualified practitioners of modern medicine. Had he cared to study more of modern medicine, he would have probably saved himself.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007


#057, My brother is a very selfish man

Swami Vivekananda considered relatives as deadly clogs to one's progress. He wrote to Ms. Marie Halboister from Almora on July 25, 1897. At some other places, he showed some feelings of love towards his mother.

"... I wish I had nobody to love, and I were an orphan in my childhood. The greatest misery in my life has been my own people — my brothers and sisters and mother etc. Relatives are like deadly clogs to one's progress, and is it not a wonder that people will still go on to find new ones by marriage!!! ... "


Brother: MAHENDRANATH DATTA (MOHIN)
Swami Vivekananda wrote to to John Fox, Mass., U.S.A. from Paris on 14th August 1900:

"Kindly write Mohin that he has my blessings in whatever he does. ... I am proud of him."


Vivekananda wrote to Mrs. Ole Bull from Daccaon the 20th March 1901, about his younger brother:

"... Mohin [Mahendranath Datta], my brother, is in India, in Karachi near Bombay, and he corresponds with Saradananda. He writes to say he is going to Burma, China, etc. The traders who lure him have shops in all those places. I am not at all anxious about him. He is a very selfish man. ..."
Bhupendranath Dutta died in 1961. He was 81 years old when he died.

4 comments:

  1. sir: Please add your esteemed comments.
    I have written extensively on the subject of Vivekananda, who is being considered as a weight-lifter of this Nation. 239 analyses from Vivekananda's complete works. After having a look at what I wrote, you may delete this link, if you consider this as a spam. Reason for my anguish: we are spending nearly Rs. 10 billion on celebrating the 150th birth anniversary of vivekananda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to know your contribution to Swami Vivekanad who was indeed a unique personality after Lord Ram and Lord Krishna. Even his contribution to this peninsula is much more than that of Lord Buddha. Whatever has been written about him so far, is much less. I am a writer and I am writing some thing on this eminent personality which will be published this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To all who have taken up the task of "HUMANISING" SWAMI VIVEKANANDA ... I RECOMMEND YOU TO DEVELOP YOUR IQ's FIRST BEFORE TOUCHING THE MOST SUBLIME PHILOSOPHY THE WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN... PLEASE BEWARE OF POLITICAL AGENDA WORKING CLANDESTINELY IN THE NAME OF HUMANISING GREAT PERSONALITIES LIKE SWAMI VIVEKANANDA....
    BUT SWAMIJI WOULD DEFINITELY APPRECIATE YOU USING YOUR LIMITED BRAINS TO FORM YOUR OPINION OF HIM "INDEPENDENTLY"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mahendranath walked back to India from England over 6 yrs is mentioned in Sankar's''the monk as Man'' 2003

    ReplyDelete